Saturday, March 8, 2008

I Lost My Wallet

Each one of us may have already experienced losing something we value so much particularly our hard earned money. Though it is just a mundane thing, losing something is surely depressing especially if it was lost out of negligence. I for one had lost the fruit of my hard work as a result of my recklessness.

I lost my wallet YET AGAIN, the first one inside the bus and this time inside the jeepney. The person who found my wallet was very lucky because there was money on it, some coins and my atm/debit card. What worsened the pathetic situation was the fact that I had to beg for money from the people around the area so that I can go home as nothing was left with me not even a single centavo. Though I texted my friends and informed them of my predicament, I did not receive a reply from them right away as they were already sleeping. I attempted to call them but I did not continue because my cellphone might turn off as there was only one bar left on it.

The entire process of begging for money was really humiliating. I wanted to shrink and disappear. But I had no choice. I was already desperate. I had to do it as that was my last-ditch attempt so that I can go home. Some people that I approached were dubious of my intention but God did not completely forsake me as 2 good samaritans believed in me and gave me money. I was able to go home.

The strings of mishap did not end there. Oblivious of another evil that was lurking, I didn't bother to call the bank to block my card. I opted to just go to sleep and call tomorrow as I was already very tired and I also have work the following day. The person who found my wallet was a ruthless evil. Not only contented with the money inside my wallet, he swiped my atm/debit card and bought stuff from Mendrez, Mercury Drug Store and he even went to Malate and partied. I found out about this when I checked my account online to get my account number before calling the bank to block my card. I was extremely anxious about my money and at the same time furious about myself for my negligence. It wouldn't have reached that far if I had exercised caution and care and called the bank right away the moment I realized my wallet was lost. With the help of my officemates and some supervisors, my card was blocked giving me a sigh of relief despite the amount amassed by the nefarious jerk.

Thanks to my friends and officemates who cheered me up and helped me surmount the plight that had befallen on me. I'll just think that I treated my friends to a sumptuous buffet if it's the only means I can do to avoid the pangs of regret.

1 comment:

mj said...

Sh!t happens talaga but those experiences are meant to teach us lessons. Lets just be careful next time and appreciate every single centavo that we are earning.. Haay, I miss my digicam.. :(