Sunday, February 24, 2008

System Outage

System outage is common in call centers specially those who have just started their operation or who have just transferred to a new location. I am not a techy person and I don't know exactly why there is such but I guess, technology really sucks sometimes. We all know that call centers rely all of their operations through the internet and computer and no matter how the company takes care of those things, system outage is inevitable.

Management dreaded this outage as it's a disruption to the normal operation of the call center and it might even mean a loss of revenue. But for us agents, it's a good thing as it gives us a moment of temporary relief from stress. When it occurs, one could really feel the sudden shift of atmosphere on the floor. Agents who are exhausted and lackadaisical suddenly become exhilarated and exuberantly boisterous. As what my teammates would say, it's utter bliss.

My current company has this problem too since we have just transferred to a new location. Though the building is nice and the facilites are awesome, system glitches happen once in a while. I am pretty sure though that there would come a time that this problem will be remedied.

Whenever I hear a buzzing sound and the floor starts to become chaotic, I can sure say that the system is out again. It may be an outage of citrix or avaya, but most of the time both. There was even one time in my previous call center where the system outage affected the entire account and we can no longer connect to the internet. And mind you this happened for the entire shift. Good thing though that the management did not send us all home. We just stayed in the office, made team huddles and took the opportunity to bond with one another. T'was one of the happiest days in our campaign. Beside chitchatting and gossiping that day, we got paid too. How I wish system outage happens everyday.. Hehehehe..

No comments: