Saturday, April 19, 2008

Reunited

zwani.com myspace graphic comments
I took a leave from the hurly-burly of the metropolis to attend to my older sister's wedding and to be with my beloved folks. Though I encountered a lot of predicaments prior to it, my vacation was worthwhile and it even served as a catharsis.

The days preceeding my vacation were really tough. I lost my wallet and an inconceivable petty event took place that had me missed my flight. I had rebooked it but I was charged more than twice from the original cost of the ticket. That was too much but I accepted it without any complaints as I was in dire need to be home before the actual date of the wedding. Those incidence were melancholic and had almost left me at the verge of giving up but it never thwarted me from going home.

Seeing some of my relatives and my mother waiting for me outside the airport smothered all the nostalgia and plights that life had dished out on me. My mom's presence filled me with so much joy that I immediately hugged her tightly. Me, my mom and my two sisters are not really that close. We don't bond and talk that much like most siblings and their mother would normally do. My two sisters are home buddies while I am always out of the house and spend most of my time hanging out with my friends. Though we are not expressive and showy about how much we care and love one another, deep inside we know we love each other more than anybody else.

Being away from them because of my work made me value every moment I have with my family. So when I came home, I took the moment to show to them how much they mean to me. I didn't do it by saying I love you. Honestly, I feel ashamed in uttering those words and I haven't said it to anyone yet even to my dearest friends. I did it by simply starting a conversation with them and enjoying every second of it. If before I used to eat my meals in front of the television, this time I spent it with them and discussed anything under the sun. I swear, it brought me so much happiness by just doing it. It made me realize that what's lacking in our family is conversation.

Beside talking to them as often as I can, I also did most of the household chores especially washing the dishes. When I was a student, household chores were one of the reasons of fights in our house. I was so lazy that I always whined and stomped my feet as loud as I can whenever my mom asked me to do a certain task. I would even malingered to shirk my assigned chores. Now that I've grown up and realized how I love my family, I've done almost all chores in the house excluding the laundry. hehehe.. Those were the things I did that I thought would strengthen the bond between us. And I believe it worked as we've already shared our secrets and plans for our future.

My sister's wedding was succesful and that especial event was filled with bliss and merriments. The happiness I felt seeing my sister walked the aisle of the church going to the altar with my mom on her side transcended all the mishaps that had befallen on me. That moment made me realize that happiness can only be pleasurable and meaningful if it was felt after a series of frustrations and pains. And those strings of mishap happened to me to measure how far I would go, how long I would endure and how much I would sacrifice just to be with my family.

The vacation only lasted for 8 days. It was really short but I savored every moment I spent with my family and I will cherish those wonderful memories with them. This Christmas and New Year, I have planned to visit them again and this time, I'll make sure it would be longer than this.

No comments: